Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Days in the New House

I know I'm new to this blogging thing, so I apologize for the very sad lack of informative pictures of my fist house project. I'll just have to describe what I did and you'll just have to use your imagination.

The first night was pretty nice. We got here around 5pm. I went to the home store to see if they had a bathroom set I liked for the kids bathroom, but sadly, no luck for me. I went to the Country Store, a big convenience store and got FIVE Bath and Body Works soaps for $15 total...that made me super duper happy!! I went to the Commissary and discovered the biggest grocery store I've ever seen....complete with a bakery and deli (Yuma doesnt have those at their commissary), and of course at low prices and tax free! I got some food for the next few days, not knowing when I can expect my kitchen stuff and having to get only things that I can make with the pot and skillet that I brought.

The next morning we went to get our FIRST washer and dryer. YAY!! It should be delivered today, at any minute. Then Greg took the kids while I went to Bed Bath and Beyond. Good heavens, I got stuff for two bathrooms and threw in a steam mop. It was fun till I got to the register. Then I hit up Target to get little things that I knew were cheaper there. On my way there, I discovered a Joanns and Michaels. I decided I was definately going to LOVE it here.

I went home and Greg wanted to go to a local arcade called Boomers. So I let him and Celeste go while I took Caleb to Michaels for my first house project. I needed something for that blasted kitchen wall above the stove...the wall comes flush with the cabinets so there's no way I can put anything there on top.

I decided to make the letters of FAMILY on their on canvases to hang on that wide wall. I got six 8x8" canvases, wooden letters, three sheets each of two different coordinating scrapbook papers, two sheets of paper for the letters, mod podge, stensils, fragile crackle, and burnt umber acrilic paint. I tore the papers in half, then randomly mod podged two on one canvas. I've never worked with mod podge, but I decided after figuring out the best way not to get air bubbles in there, that I generally enjoy this kind of craft. I painted the stensils on and the sides with the burnt umber. I did the same for the letters, but instead of stensiling, I lightly sponged on the paint on the sides. I put fragil crackle on everything before gluing the letters on and hanging them. The whole thing took two days, between drying things, painting things, playing with my kids, using my steam mop (which i LOOOOVE), etc.


That is how it turned out. I got some kitchen towles to match it (and the whole time made sure I matched the rugs that will be going in there when we get our stuff). Anyways, here's the kitchen as of last night.


Today we get our washer and dryer, so I get to do loads of laundry and sort out this huge mess upstairs. The downstairs is very clean, tidy and steam mopped. The upstairs has clothes and trash scattered everywhere, mainly because we dont have trash cans or laundry baskets. Oh well. We're going to get the movie Tangled today, with the digital copy. Boo-ya.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE your project! Turned out way cute! I'm so glad you're blogging now. =) I bet you were thrilled to find a Joann's and a Michael's nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those letters turned out awesome! Do I get something like that for my b-day or Christmas? Really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooooooo happy there are TONS of shopping nearby, but of COURSE joanns and michaels!!!! I think im going to be putting wall florals on the sides of the letters, and then large candles on the tops of the cabinets. eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete