Sunday, February 12, 2012

Globbity Hobbs.

I just figured I would have to do a little post on all the crafty crafts I have been doing. As I mentioned in the previous blog, I have been pretty much barricaded in the guest/craft room. Thank goodness we have netflix in that room! The first major project of the year? A pretty pettiskirt for my neice, Amber. She turned three (for the 7th time) on January 29. Isn't she so pretty?!


One of my best friends daughter is amazingly responsible and academic. One day for school, they had Colonial Day, where they needed to dress up as Colonial Era people and made a day of it. Of course, she wanted to go all out! But.......where is a person going to find a colonial dress in the beginning of February?? A trip to Joanns was in store. The deal was she provides the materials, I get to keep the pattern, and some free babysitting, and I'll make the dress. It took me all of one evening and an afternoon (because I can only work when Caleb is taking a nap or in bed.....he's so destructive). I thought it turned out super awesome.





I have a few friends who are having babies, so I have been working on some sweet blankets for them. I can't post one of them yet because I haven't given it yet, but here is the one for very loyal San Diego Padres fans.


The mother to be also absolutely loves elephants, so how could I not make a sweet hat for the baby boy...

It won't be more than a few weeks before the sweet little baby will be wearing this..I am soo excited to meet the lil guy!
My most recent project was actually inspired by a trip to Walmart. True story. I wanted to get Caleb a new car seat because the only front facing strap in car seat we have is Celeste's old pink flowery one that has seen better days. Unfortunately, Walmart didn't HAVE any basic strap in car seats available. They had transfoming fancy ones, but we weren't looking for a $150 car seat. On the way home, I told Greg, 'Looks like Caleb will have to use Celeste's pink one' in hopes he would agree to search a local Target. He just mildly agreed. Frustrated, I said something along the lines of making a fitted liner for the pink one so he wouldn't have to sit in girliness. Greg heartily agreed, so I spent the afternoon researching car seat liners, and discovered a site that explained how to use the old batting from the original car seat cushion to completely transform your old car seat. The thing I liked most about the concept? The padding would be the same size, fit the same way, there would be no loose faric to pull over his head/face, it would just be a little more work. I'm down. I just need to get flame resistant spray for it, and scotch guard it too. As I suspected, he really didn't like the pink one so much.

It is old, stained, and not so manly.

And then the magic happened. I went to Joanns. I manipulated stubborn padding to form curves and shaping. The result was significant improvement.

I got a kick out of the dragon...it just screams, "IM AWESOME".


This is all for NOW, but I have several more projects in store. What's next? Finishing a baby blanket, making another pettiskirt for another niece's birthday (who is ALSO turning three again), and starting another baby blanket. Will I do more than that? Probably. Maybe not as fast soon. The company I worked for in Yuma contacted me and offered me a very part time job three days a week UP TO 20 hours (meaning more like 15hrs) a week. Is it less money than I'm making now? Yes. But it's a long term job that will be here as long as I am with a company that can employ me on any Marine Corps base. I will miss Noah Kun very much, especially when he LEAVES US in the summer. *sniff* But I have to make long term plans, and I also like how the job will get me out of the house during Gregs deployment, and keep me busy and distracted at the same time as not being too many hours away from home. I can also still pick up Celeste and have lunch with the kids and help her with her homework before going back to work, if I haven't finished for the day by the time she gets out of school. True Story. I want to thank my neighbors who are always so awesome and instantly agreed to take my monster as long as they live here. I also want to thank Noahs parents for letting me take care of their sweet baby boy, and also for understanding the situation. I won't start for another 2 weeks (as is the plan), so expect a few more crafty crafts!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment